POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : More stereo coverage (pics, scenes, instructions), please! : Re: More stereo coverage (pics, scenes, instructions), please! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:21:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More stereo coverage (pics, scenes, instructions), please!
From: AS
Date: 15 Jul 2010 14:50:01
Message: <web.4c3f56b3cc8a6bf61f72a5ba0@news.povray.org>
Pleas don't let us discuss about TV here, it's being done sufficiently in other
places.

For small pics such as StephenS's, anaglyphs are ok, and so are cross-views. But
I am after those spectacular, highly detailed images that are often published
without sources (which, apart from being the artist's secrets, are usually
unreadable). Examples are the Hall-of-Fame pics, imitations of classical
paintings, and mathematical stuff such as fractals. I challenge those authors
who kindly offer mono pics for download to add renderings for the second
eye. Their reward will be, apart from the usual applause, that they disprove any
suspicions of cheating. (Those Escher paradoxa won't work in stereo unless done
very trickily!)

The example code "balcony.pov" shipped with the prog has the following lines:

camera {
  location    <0.5, 0.5, 1.2>
  direction   y
  sky         z
  up          z
  right       (3/4)*x
  look_at     <5, 4.3, 0.9>
  angle       36
}

This I used for the right eye and did another rendering for the left eye,
replacing those lines with

camera {
  location    <0.462, 0.545, 1.2>
  direction   y
  sky         z
  up          z
  right       (3/4)*x
  look_at     <4.962, 4.345, 0.9>
  angle       36
}

At high resolution such as 1600 x 1200 - viewed as mentioned before - the effect
is quite impressive and well worth the rendering time. Does anyone disagree?